Rava kesari recipe or halwa recipes
Rava kesari recipe with step by step instructions are mentioned below. rava kesari is a popular south Indian sweet made during the festival season. Rava kesari’s North indians will call it as sooji ka halwa.
INGREDIENTS FOR PREPARING RAVA KESARI
Measuring cup used, 1 cup = 250 ml
- fine rava or sooji : 1 cup
- ghee : 5 to 6 tbsp
- sugar : ¾ to 1 cup or as required
- water : 2 cups
- saffron threads or kesar : 2 to 3 pinches
- green cardamom pods : 4-5 husked and powdered
- cashews : ¼ cup halved or chopped
INSTRUCTIONS FOR PREPARING RAVA KESARI
- Crush cardamoms to semi fine powder in the mortar-pestle and keep aside.
- Also crush the saffron threads in the same mortar-pestle and keep aside.
- Keep a pan on a low flame.
- Add the ghee and when ghee is heating up, do the following.
- Take the sugar and water in another pan.
- Keep this pan on the medium to high flame and let the solution come to a boil.
- Also add the powdered saffron or kesar to sugar solution.
- Once the ghee becomes hot, add the rava and keep on stirring while adding the rava.
- Immediately add the cashews and keep on stirring the mixture.
- In the meanwhile also check the sugar solution.
- If the mixture starts to boil, then lower the flame and let it simmer.
- keep on stirring the rava for 7 to 8 mins and when the grains change their color and when the cashews also change to the light golden, we have to add bubbling hot sugar and water solution.
- Increase the flame to high for the sugar solution to bubble and when it starts to bubble in a matter of seconds, immediately add it to the hot rava mixture.
- Be careful as the mixture has the leaning to splutter.
- Be quick enough to stir and keep on stirring till the whole mixture starts thickening and starts to leave the edge of the pan.
- keep the tight lid on top or place a heavy weight on the lid.
- Switch off the flame and allow rava kesari to steam for 5 to 6 minutes.
- Now remove the lid and serve the rava kesari hot or warm.