Brinjal Pakoda recipe
- Measuring cup used, 1 cup = 250 ml
- Baingan or brinjals : 5 to 6 small
- Besan or gram flour : 1 cup
- Water : ⅔ cup or add as required
- asafoetida/hing : A pinch
- turmeric powder or haldi : ¼ tsp
- red chili powder or lal mirch powder : ¼ tsp
- coriander powder or dhania powder : ½ tsp
- cumin powder or jeera powder : ½ tsp
- baking soda : pinch
- salt to taste
- oil for deep frying
- In a mixing bowl take dry ingredients i.e, besan or gram flour, turmeric powder, red chili powder, coriander powder, cumin powder, a generous pinch of hing and also add salt.
- Add ⅔ cup of water or as required.
- Whisk to smooth batter without chunks. Add water as required to make the medium consistency batter.
- Rinse and cut brinjals into thin slices.
- Dip the brinjals slices in the batter evenly.
- Softly place them in medium hot oil for frying.
- Turn over when 1 side is cooked partly.
- After a minute or so, turn over again and fry the brinjals pakoras till crisp and turns to evenly golden.
- With the slotted spoon remove the pakodas and drain as much oil as possible.
- Place the pakodas on the paper kitchen towel to remove an excess oil. Fry the pakodas in batches this way.
- Serve the brinjal pakodas hot or warm with the coriander chutney or tomato ketchup or tamarind chutney.