Tetanus or lockjaw is a bacterial infection caused by Clostridium tetani. Tetanus infection causes severe muscles spasms, initially muscles spasms are seen near jaw and they are seen the rest of the body later. Muscle spasms are very severe and can affect other biological process. Occasionally the infected person feels difficulty in breathing due to muscle contraction in such cases patients relay on ventilators and if left unnoticed may lead to death. Read Tetanus often called as lock jaw
Tetanus causing bacteria resides in soil, dust etc, it enters into a person through cuts on the skin by accidental bruising by nails or any sharp objects, animal bites or burns etc.
Up on entry into the body tetanus bacteria multiply in number producing a toxin which is the cause of the symptoms. It affects nervous system. Toxin acts on the nerve signal preventing the signal transfer to contracted muscle to relax which causes muscles to expand and cause muscle spasms. If not vaccinated or left untreated it can be fatal, approximately 10% of the infected people die.
Tetanus is not contagious from one person to other. Tetanus infection is seen mostly in children in developing and under developed countries due to lack of hygiene. Children are most affected and their death rate is high.
Symptoms in tetanus infection are caused due to the toxin produced by the bacteria. Symptoms appear immediately after infection. It may range between 48hrs to 3 weeks or even longer.
- Stiff jaw or locked jaw
- Muscle stiffness, starting in the jaw, then other parts of the body
- Difficulty in breathing
- Trouble swallowing
- Restlessness and irritability
- Sweating and fever
- high blood pressure
- Muscle spasms in the face
Vaccination can be done against tetanus infection which includes 3 dosages in the span of 1year. If vaccination is not done, when there is any cut it is advised to take a Tetanus injection within 24hr. For every 10year vaccination should be taken in order to prevent any future infections
- Gingivitis- a common dental diseaseGingivitis- a common dental disease is gum disease caused by bacteria. It is quite common infection if proper oral hygiene is not maintained. It is a very mild condition which can be […]
- Carbuncle – A bacterial infection of skinCarbuncle is an abscess which is larger than a boil. It is a localized bacterial infection. It is filled up with pus and has one or more openings which help in secretion of pus when it […]
- Why Sleeping On The Floor Is Healthy?Sleeping on the ground is, in fact, a pleasure if you get used to it. Of course, in the starting stages, you may miss your mattress but gradually you will get used to it. Why Sleeping On […]
- Beware of Your Toothbrush Can Kill YouBeware of Your Toothbrush Can Kill You
Observe your toothbrush can cause the death.... According to the new research, it is stated that toothbrushes can serve as the vector for […]
- Hansen’s disease commonly called as leprosyLeprosy is caused due to bacterial infection caused due to Mycobacterium leprae and Mycobacterium lepromotasis. Leprosy got its name as Hansen’s disease after the physician Gerhard Armauer […]
- Symptoms of Rabies from animal bites and its reatment, PreventionRabies is a deadly viral infection which spreads by animal bites which are infected with the rabies virus. It resides in the saliva f the infected animal, it infects by animal bites or […]
- 10 asthma symptoms you should know10 asthma symptoms you should know
Asthma is the condition where a person finds it difficult to breathe because their airways swell up, making it hard for them to breathe. This reaction […]
- Symptoms of Iron Deficiency-AnemiaDo you experience severe tiredness? Do you suffer from the headaches? You might be showing signs of anemia. Even Though anemia shows the mild symptoms, it can lead to life-threatening […]
- Chicken Pox Infection and TreatmentChicken pox is a highly contagious skin infection. It is caused due to virus called varicella-zoster of the herpes family virus
It mostly infects young children under 12, it may also […]