Tawa paneer masala recipe
INGREDIENTS (measuring cup used, 1 cup = 250 ml)
paneer/cottage cheese – 200 to 250 gms
onion – 1 large (finely chopped) 100 to 120 gms
capsicum – 1 medium sized 80 to 100 gms
tomatoes, – 3 medium sized (chopped) 180 to 200 gms
garlic – 4 to 5 medium sized
ginger/adrak – 1 inch piece
green chili/hari mirch – 1 finely chopped
carom seeds/ajwain/omam – ½ tsp
coriander powder/dhania powder – 1 tsp
red chilli powder/lal mirch powder – ¼ tsp
turmeric powder/haldi – ¼ tsp
1 tsp pav bhaji masala or ½ tsp garam masala + ¼ tsp dry mango powder/amchur powder
Butter – 2 tbsp
crushed kasuri methi/dry fenugreek leaves – ½ tsp
salt per taste
few chopped coriander leaves/dhania patta for garnish
Steps to make tawa paneer masala
- Add finely chopped tomatoes in a blender and make smooth puree. keep aside.
- Melt two tbsp butter on the tawa or skillet.
- Add ½ tsp carom seeds or ajwain and fry them for few seconds or till aromatic.
- Add 1 large onion, chopped and saute till transparent.
- Add the ginger &garlic paste, finely chopped green chilli &capsicum and saute for about 3 minutes.
- Then add ¼ tsp red chili powder, ¼ tsp turmeric powder, one tsp coriander powder and one tsp pav bhaji masala. if you do not have pav bhaji masala, then add garam masala with amchur powder or dry mango powder. stir and saute for about minute.
- Now add the tomato puree and stir it.
- Add with salt and saute with the stirring at intervals.
- Saute till you see butter releasing from the sides and masala has thickened a bit. This takes about 8 – 10 minutes on the low flame. if tomato masala looks dry, then add 1 or 2 tbsp of water and continue to saute.
- Add the paneer cubes and stir well, so that the masala coats to the paneer cubes evenly.
- Cook the paneer for 1 – 2 minutes. then add ½ tsp crushed kasuri methi or dry fenugreek leaves. stir very well and switch off the flame.
Garnish with the coriander leaves and serve tawa paneer masala with the chapatis, phulkas, naan or bread. Escort with few wedges of lemon slices which can be drizzled on tawa paneer and a side on onion salad.