Dengue fever is a disease caused from the dengue virus transmitted by Aedes mosquitoes, particularly A. aegypti feeding on a human host. Every year millions of cases of dengue fever are reported. It infects infants, children, teens and adults.Tropical regions of the world like Africa, South and Central America, Indian sub continent Southeast Asia Mexico are at high risk. Read about Causes Of Dengue fever.
Causes of Dengue fever
Dengue virus is transmitted from one person to another through mosquito as a vector. It cannot directly transfer from one person to another person. When a mosquito of genus Aedes bites an infected dengue person, it carries the dengue virus, when the same mosquito bites another healthy individual the disease is spread to the healthy person.
There is no vaccination for dengue fever. Treatment for dengue fever is not specific, It usually includes the symptomatic treatment like treating the symptoms like fever headache etc. Researchers are working on the development of vaccine for dengue fever.
Dengue fever Symptoms
There are wide ranges of symptoms associated with dengue infection. Symptoms usually prevail from 4-12days from the infection. Symptoms include the following:
- Sudden, high fever
- Severe headaches
- Pain behind the eyes
- Severe joint and muscle pain
- Skin rash, which appears three to four days after the onset of fever
- Mild bleeding (such as bleeding nose, bleeding gums)
In some cases of infection the symptoms are very mild and they are mistaken to flu or common fever. People who never had any dengue infection earlirer tend to have milder symptoms. Whereas people with weak immune systems, second time dengue infection the symptoms are severe. Severe dengue infection include hemorrhagic fever which is complicated by high fever, damage to lymph nodes and blood vessels, enlargement of live and subsequent failure of liver, circulatory system, this may lead to subsequent heavy bleeding, shock and ultimately death, called as Dengue shock syndrome.
Diagnosis is usually done by blood test to check for any dengue virus or antibodies to the dengue virus, low level of
blood platelets or blood plasma leakage
Dengue fever Treatment
Individuals having dengue disease are advised to take rest under complete observation of a doctor as there is no specific treatment for the disease. There is no vaccination for this infection. High intake of fluids is recommended. Non aspirin fever reducing tablets are being used with fluid intake and bed rest. It will take nearly 2 weeks to recover from the
For more severe cases admission of intravenous fluids and blood transfusion is done
Dengue fever Prevention
- There is no vaccination for dengue fever, therefore best is to prevent from the infection, therefore by avoiding getting bitten by a mosquito. Following are the preventive measures for avoiding a mosquito bite
- Keep the dwelling places clean and devoid of stagnant water.
- If any such stagnant waters are present add mosquito larvae repellant or change water frequently.
- Install mosquito mesh to windows and doors
- Dengue fever- Causes symptoms and treatment
- Use mosquito net for the bed
- Use mosquito repellent coils and chemicals indoors
- Apply mosquito repellent creams on body.