When it comes to caring for our teeth, there are many oral practices that come to mind. Top 5 Super Foods for Teeth
These need to be incorporated as daily habits if one wishes to keep their teeth and gums healthy and prevent tooth decay or gum diseases. However, that is not all that one can do for their teeth. Food has a vital role to play for helping to strengthen our gums and teeth and to fight decay and diseases from coming on.
In general, food that is acidic is not great for the teeth as the enamel is weakened as a result. Again, food items with distinct vitamins and mineral groups help to fortify the tooth and the gums. The right kind of diet and the ideal foods for tooth health, Top 5 Super Foods for Teeth are enumerated below.
Top 5 Super Foods for Teeth
Sugar Free Gum
There are many studies that have proven that sugar free gum can help to improve the dental health.
Benefits Of Sugar Free Gum
- If one chews gum it cleans the teeth by stimulating the production of saliva.
- The saliva in turn washes away the acids that are produced inside the mouth by bacteria.
- Saliva contains calcium and phosphate and that can help to strengthen the bones in the teeth.
- Gum also helps to scrub the teeth and strengthen the jaws.
- After one finishes a meal one can use sugar free gum to avoid the build up of extra sugar in the blood stream.
For maintaining good oral health one needs to keep themselves hydrated.
Benefits of Drinking Water
- Water in the plain form is known to wash away toxins, and increases the saliva content which consists of essential minerals.
- Small food particles are washed away from the teeth which can lodge in between the teeth and cause problems.
- The gums are kept hydrated by water and it helps to prevent decay of the tooth enamel.
- Tap water is known to contain fluoride which is a mineral that protects the tooth against erosion.
- Thus, washing the mouth with tap water after every meal and drinking lots of water will keep the gums and teeth healthy.
Milk, similar to cheese, is a dairy product which is rich in Vitamin D as well as in phosphates and calcium.
Benefits of Milk
- Milk helps the teeth and the bones to be strong.
- If one drinks milk regularly they will augment the process of the tooth enamel being repaired and strengthened.
- If one is allergic to milk they can drink soy milk as well. This replacement of milk is ideal for those who are lactose intolerant and is rich in calcium content.
- Nowadays skim milk fortified with the necessary nutrients is available for those who are diet conscious.
Tea in both the green and the black form are great for teeth health.
Benefits of Tea
- There are polyphenols included in the tea which works on bacteria that can cause plaque.
- Such compounds can suppress or kill the bacteria and thus, the tooth attacks are prevented.
- Even for preventing cavity formation green or black tea is ideal.
- When one drinks one or two cups of tea regularly, they need to add honey instead of sugar in their tea. If one chooses to consume green tea there are added benefits to overall health as well.
When one consumes yoghurt regularly they are sure to support their dental health. It is best used or consumed in the plain version and in non fat forms.
Benefits of Yoghurt
Yoghurt is a good source of protein as well as calcium.
It also helps one to lose weight if one chooses to consume yoghurt which is low in fat and sugar.
Yoghurt can be consumed with fresh fruits or berries to increase the nutrition quotient.
It could also be made into a smoothie. That makes yoghurt a great diet food and good for the teeth at the same time.
Photo credit: Nikki McLeod / Foter / CC BY-NC-ND