Moong dal khichdi recipe
A simple and very easy moong dal khichdi recipe. This moong dal khichdi is prepared as a naivedyam for god and is made using the normal ingredients and spices. This recipe can be made without onion & garlic khichdi recipe.
INGREDIENTS FOR PREPARING MOONG DAL KHICHDI
Measuring cup used, 1 cup = 250 ml
- Basmati broken or whole rice : ½ cup
- Moong dal or spilt and dehusked green gram
- ghee : 1.5 tbsp or 2 tbsp oil
- turmeric powder or haldi : ¼ tsp
- cumin seeds or jeera : ¾ to 1 tsp
- rock salt or regular salt as required
INSTRUCTIONS FOR PREPARING MOONG DAL KHICHDI
- Wash both the rice and dal together for a two times in water.
- Heat the ghee or oil in the pressure cooker.
- Crackle the cumin first. Add the turmeric powder and stir.
- Add the rice and moong dal. Stir and saute for a minute.
- Add 4 to 4.5 cups water. Season with salt.
- Stir and then pressure cook the khichdi for 5 to 6 whistles till both the rice and moong dal have reached a mashable consistency like a porridge.
- When the pressure settles down, open the lid and check moong dal khichdi.
- If it is too thick, then add some water and stir well.
- Keep on sim or low flame to simmer khichdi till you get the right reliability.
- The consistency can be adjusted as per your choice by adding less or more water. Some people prefer thick and some thin consistency.
- Serve moong dal khichdi with the plain bowl of yogurt or raita.
- When serving khichdi you can add a 1 or 2 tsp of ghee in the serving bowls or plates.
This recipe of khichdi has been made in pressure cooker. If making in a pot, then soak the mung dal and rice for about 45 mins to 1 hour. Continued with the tempering of cumin seeds in the pot. then add dal and rice. Add about 5 to 6 cups water and cover and cook the khichdi till the rice and moong dal are cooked till really soft and of a porridge consistency. Add more water if required if khichdi becomes lumpy or too thick. keep on stirring at the regular intervals during the entire cooking process.