We use our fingers always for all the works, & yet a slight swelling or pain may cause a lot of distress, or worse, which make them hard to cooperate with the swollen finger.
Fingers swell because of many reasons, & many of them are harmless. Usually, it is the cause of infection or fluid buildup.
Table of Contents
Home remedies for swollen finger
It could be as of an insect bite, an injury like a jammed or sprained or a rash, finger, fluid retention, contamination, exposure to excessive temperature, high salt consumption or hormonal changes in the body.
It can also be a consequence of a below-mentioned health problem, such as cellulitis, ascarpal tunnel syndrome, bursitis, ganglion cyst, fungal infection around the nail, rheumatoid arthritis, osteoarthritis, & septic arthritis, to name a some.
How to treat swollen fingers
Along with the swelling, there might be other symptoms, such as bruising, fatigue, redness, pain, lumps along the finger, tingling sensations or numbness from nerve compression, decreased the range of the motion, stiffness & swollen joints.
Mild cases of the finger swelling cure with time. To lessen swelling & pain faster, you can try some of the natural home remedies.
Though, if the swelling has accompanied by the severe pain, a weak cold or fever, consult the doctor quickly as it can be because of severe trauma or a serious lying problem. Below are few of the Home remedies for the swollen finger.
1. Warm Oil Massage
Warm oil Massage helps to relax sore muscles, stimulates the muscles and enhance the blood circulation to an affected area. As the bonus, massage promotes drainage of surplus fluid, which is a primary leading cause of the swelling.
- Warm mustard oil or olive oil in a microwave.
- Dab some warm oil on an affected finger.
- Using your thumb finger & forefinger of one hand, smoothly massage the swollen finger, on the other hand, beginning at the tip of a finger and moving toward the heart.
- Massage for about 5 minutes at a time.
- Do this many times a day.
Note: If massaging of oil causes more pain, quit doing it & consult the family doctor.
2. Exercise the Fingers
Exercise makes more blood flow to an area, which excites the pressure to decrease the fluid retention. Exercise will also lessen the strain on the muscles around the affected area.
- Flexing is one of the best exercises for your fingers to try.
- Separate any rings before the workout your fingers.
- Close the fingers into the fist & hold it for 1 minute.
- Slowly open the fist & stretch out the fingers.
- Reform the cycle many times.
- Do this exercise several times per day.
- One can also try the hand squeezes with the tennis ball or the rubber stress ball.
Turmeric comprises the active ingredient curcumin, which gives antioxidant & anti-inflammatory features. It aids with the conditions like muscle sprains, Rheumatoid Arthritis, & other injuries that is the reason for fingers swelling.
A study in 2012 published in ‘Therapeutic Advances in Musculoskeletal Disease’ confirmed the positive result of the turmeric in pain management & mobility.
- Mix half teaspoon of the turmeric powder with a light olive oil to make a fine paste.
- Apply it to the affected finger.
- Let it dry for some time, then wash it off with the lukewarm water.
- Repeat twice daily to reduce the pain & swelling.
- You can choose to take the curcumin supplements, but only after consulting your family doctor.