INGREDIENTS to Prepare Hing jeera aloo recipe
Measuring cup used, 1 cup = 250 ml
- aloo or potatoes : 250 grams about 3 medium sized potatoes
- green chilli : 1 chopped
- ginger or adarak : ½ inch finely chopped
- cumin seeds or jeera : 2 tsp
- hing or asafoetida: ⅛ tsp, about 2 to 3 pinches
- turmeric powder or haldi : ¼ tsp
- red chili powder or lal mirch powder : ½ tsp
- coriander powder or dhania powder : 1 tsp
- dry mango powder or amchur : 1 tsp or alternative is lemon juice or dry pomegranate powder
- coriander leaves or dhania patta : 2 tbsp chopped
- oil : 1 tbsp
- salt as required
- Boil or steam three medium sized potatoes about 250 grams.
- When slightly hot or warm, peel and chop potatoes. Also finely chop the ½ inch ginger and 1 green chilli.And keep them aside.
- Heat one tbsp oil in the pan or kadai. Add 2 tsp cumin and let them splutter.
- Add ⅛ tsp asafoetida or hing. About 2 to 3 pinches of asafoetida or hing.
- Add the chopped potatoes and stir well.
- Add all spice powders turmeric powder, red chili powder, coriander powder, dry mango powder or amchur and salt. This recipe is a bit spicy. For a less spicy version, reduce the red chili powder to ¼ tsp. if you donot have dry mango powder then add 1 tsp lime or lemon juice. you can also add dried pomegranate seeds powder instead of dry mango powder.
- Stir and saute for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Lastly add 2 tbsp chopped coriander leaves or dhania patta.
- Give a final stir. you can garnish hing jeera aloo dish with the chopped coriander leaves.
- Serve hing jeera aloo with pooris, chapatis or parathas or as a side dish with dal-rice combo. you can also add few drops of lemon juice while serving