Vitiligo – A pigment disorder of skin
#melanin #melanocyte #pigment #skin #vitiligo
Vitiligo is a skin pigment disorder in which melanin pigment is absent therefore white patches develop on the skin. These white patches can be formed on any area of the body, or sometimes whole body is affected. It affects any individual at any age. Both the sexes are equally prone to vitiligo. Vitiligo may run in families, if an individual is suffering from vitiligo there are great chances that a person from the same family may have vitiligo. Once the melanin pigment is lost from the skin it is not naturally recovered.
The characteristic colour of the skin is due a pigment called as melanin. Melanin is produced by melanocyte. Vitiligo is caused due to lack of melanin pigments, this is due to destruction of these melanin producing cells melanocytes. The exact cause of the destruction of melanocytes is unknown. Researchers believe that vitiligo is the result of an autoimmune disorder. Still exact conclusions are not known, but scientists think this as the most possible reason behind vitiligo.
In vitiligo pigment loss is seen and white patches appear on the skin. Slowly the loss of pigment in seen on other area of the body and it appears as white patches due to the loss of the pigment. Pigment loss is commonly seen more on the skin that is exposed to sunlight, body folds (arm pits), around moles, around body openings (mouth). Vitiligo can be seen on hair and eyes too.
Diagnosis and Treatment
Diagnosis of vitiligo is simple and it just requires a physical examination. A Physician can easily diagnose vitiligo by observing the patches on the skin due to loss of pigment.
There are no preventive steps for vitiligo or cure. However there are methods that include cosmetology treatments like using some cosmetics, re-pigmentation using UV light therapy, skin grafting etc, which may improve the skin appearance which might have affected due to vitiligo.
- Home Remedies for VitiligoAccording to medical definition, Vitiligo is a condition in which skin begins to develop white patches or spots due to the loss of ‘melanocytes’. These are the cells containing ‘melanin’ […]
- Psoriasis is a skin problemPsoriasis is a skin problem that appears on skin in white or red patches. It is a chronic skin problem which is caused due to the excess skin growth that forms thick patches called […]
- Scabies- a contagious skin infectionScabies is a skin infection caused due a mite called as Sarcoptes scabiei. Scabies causes severe itching, due to the severe itching people scratch which becomes red and bruises […]
- Chicken Pox Infection and TreatmentChicken pox is a highly contagious skin infection. It is caused due to virus called varicella-zoster of the herpes family virus
It mostly infects young children under 12, it may also […]
- Ring worm- not a worm its fungusRing worm is a skin infection caused due to fungus called as Dermatophytes. Many species of Dermatophytes are identified that cause skin infections. The name “Ring worm” is coined due to […]
- 5 Excellent Uses of Vitamin E Oils For HairVitamin E is also one of the unique ingredients of today’s cosmetics meant for hair. It has recognised as one of the miracle drugs for hair. This vitamin is remarkably beneficial for the […]
- Side Effects Of DandruffSide Effects Of Dandruff
You might have frequently noticed white powdery substances dotted everywhere on the hair or shoulders. This is nothing but dandruff. Medical science considers it […]
- Hair and Skin Benefits of Carrot JuiceHair and Skin Benefits of Carrot Juice
Apart from their tasty flavor, carrots contain beta-carotene in high amounts, in addition to the antioxidants, minerals & vitamin A. Carrots […]
- Healing Benefits Of Sunlight On SkinHealing Benefits Of Sunlight On Skin
#sunlight #skin #healingbenefits
There is an incomplete discuss on whether the sunlight is good for the skin or it is the reason of the skin diseases […]