Dandruff is caused when the scalp sheds dead skin cells. Having Dandruff can be really frustrating. The worst part of having dandruff is the itching it produces. Who likes to itch their head in public places or at work? No one! Read about Tips to control Dandruff Naturally
Effective measures are required to get rid of the condition or to at-least control it.
Table of Contents
Wash your hair regularly
- Regular hair wash is highly recommended for people with dandruff. Daily hair wash with an anti dandruff shampoo helps a lot in controlling dandruff to a good extent
- Start with regular shampooing for sometime. As soon as you can see the visible flake reduction, limit shampooing to 2-3 times a week
- Make sure to let anti dandruff shampoo work it out. Leave the shampoo for 5 minutes after you work it through your scalp and hair before rinsing.
- Prefer using a herbal shampoo. Use less amount of shampoo and don’t shampoo too much. Excessive shampooing irritates the scalp makes it even more dry, leading to more dandruff. Make sure you rinse your hair really well after shampooing.
Indulge in Hot Oil Therapy
- Hot oil therapy works wonders for dandruff prone scalp. Take some extra virgin olive oil and heat it to a temperature a little higher than lukewarm.
- Apply the hot oil onto your scalp by using a cotton ball or your fingers and work the oil throughout the scalp and also your hair gently.
- 5 minutes after you finish giving your scalp a light massage, wrap your hair in a hot towel.
- Repeat Hot towel wrap 3 times, it helps your hair and scalp to absorb the oil better.
- Leave this overnight and apply lemon juice and leave it for 20 minutes before you rinse.
- This helps in controlling and preventing dandruff by moisturizing the scalp and preventing clogging of scalp skin pores. This can be done twice a week.
Indulge your hair in a weekly henna treatment
- Applying henna is a great way to restore the natural health of scalp and also to prevent dandruff
- Add 4 teaspoons of lemon juice, 1 teaspoon of fenugreek (methi) powder, tea water to henna powder, make the mixture into a thick paste . You can also add a raw egg in the mixture.
- Apply the mixture generously all over your scalp and hair and leave it for 2-3 hours and rinse.
- Doing this will help in removing dandruff in addition to conditioning your hair.
More Tips to Control Dandruff
- Apply little vinegar to your scalp and massage it into the scalp 30 minutes before shampooing. After you finish shampooing and rinsing, add 2 tablespoons of vinegar to your last rinse. This helps in controlling dandruff buildup.
- Alternatively you can use fenugreek decoction or neem leaf decoction in your last rinse to control dandruff.
- As dandruff is also caused due to drying of the scalp. It is essential to keep the scalp moisturized. Be sure to moisturize your scalp after you shampoo to keep it moisturized. Use 5 drops of Rosemary oil in 50 ml distilled water and apply it after shampooing for best results.
- If you have severe dandruff, change/wash your pillow covers, towels etc every alternate day. Use antiseptic solution to clean them.
- Include lots of fresh fruits and vegetables in your diet and exercise daily.
- Drink good amount of water, 6-8 glasses a day, to keep yourselves always hydrated.
Mild to average forms of dandruff can be effectively controlled by following the tips mentioned above and using over the counter medications. But, in case of severe dandruff, a dermatologist intervention is required.
The above article is about Tips to control Dandruff Naturally.
Also read our another article How to Make Your Hair Healthy and Shiny