Here are two simple and easy recipes for DIY homemade cough syrups made from honey, ginger, lemon, & glycerin.
- Recipe #1:DIY Homemade Cough Syrup with Glycerin, lemon, and Honey
- Recipe #2: DIY Homemade Cough Syrup with Honey, Ginger, & Lemon
Table of Contents
DIY Homemade Cough Syrups
Ginger serves as the natural decongestant & also soothes a sore throat, thanks to its antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, antibacterial and antiviral properties.
It has an ingredient called oleoresin by antitussive capabilities, indicating that it can aid prevent & relieve dry hacking cough.
Honey is the different time-honored treatment to support calm a cough by relieving the sore throat. Additionally, it has antimicrobial and antioxidant properties that aid combat upper respiratory tract infections.
As its rich vitamin C content, lemon juice is also helpful for defeating coughs & fighting colds. It works as the powerful antioxidant & boosts the immune system. Additionally, lemons have antibacterial and antiviral properties to combat infections.
Glycerin assists soothe coughing & a sore throat as its demulcent properties. It also acts as the natural preservative.
Recipe #1: DIY Homemade Cough Syrup with Glycerin, Honey, and Lemon
- Measuring cups
- Raw honey – ¼ cup
- Freshly squeezed lemon juice – ¼ cup
- Food-grade glycerin – ¼ cup
- A mixing bowl
- A whisker
- A jar to store the cough syrup
- Take ¼ cup of glycerin into a small bowl.
- Combine ¼ cup of honey.
- Combine ¼ cup of lemon juice.
- Stir the mix thoroughly.
- Pour it into a jar.
- Take one tsp of this Homemade cough syrup every few hours. It smells & tastes incredible, by the way!
Recipe #2: DIY Homemade Cough Syrup with Ginger, Honey, and Lemon
- Ginger – 1 small piece
- lemons – 2 medium sized
- Water – 1 cup
- A knife
- Raw honey
- A grater or zester
- A saucepan
- Measuring cups and spoons
- A mixing spoon
- A strainer and a bowl
- A jar for storing the cough syrup
- Peel the piece of ginger root & cut it into small pieces.
- Scrape off the outer colored part of the peel of 2 fresh lemons using a zester or grater.
- Pour one cup of water into the saucepan.
- Combine ¼ cup of the ginger slices.
- Combine 1½ – 2 tablespoons of lemon zest.
- Bring the solution to a boil, then let it simmer for 5 minutes.
- Strain the solution and set it aside.
- Now add one cup of raw honey into the saucepan & heat it over low heat, but do not allow to boil.
- Join in the previously strained ginger juice.
- Combine the juice squeezed from both the lemons.
- Keep stirring the mix over low heat for few minutes.
- Turn off the flame and drain the solution into the jar.
- Your homemade cough syrup is ready now.
- ½ to 1 tsp for every 2 hrs for children ages 1 – 5 years
- 1 to 2 tsp for every 2 hours for children ages 5 – 12 years
- 1 to 2 tbsp for every 4 hours for adults & children older than 12 years
Note: These homemade cough syrups have not recommended for children under the age of 1 as the honey can cause a rare, but probably fatal, kind of food poisoning called infant botulism.
- Store this DIY homemade cough syrups in the fridge. They will last for the two months.
- Use buckwheat honey, that has been seen to be effective in easing night coughing in children ages 2 & older.
- If you don’t have fresh ginger for the second recipe, one can apply half teaspoon of ginger paste, too called south.
- One can further combine a little ginger juice to the first cough syrup recipe.
- Examine combining other components like garlic, onion, & cayenne pepper to the cough syrup recipe.