A common hair problem is a gray hair, especially the gray roots that appear when your hair starts to overshoot your last color job.
For those with black or brown hair, treating gray roots can be nothing short of a nightmare. Nobody has the time and the patience to make frequent and expensive journeys to the salon to be colored hair.
Even coloring at home can be messy and you may need help from others, which is not always possible. Moreover, to cover only the roots, it is useless to dye all the hair.
Frequent coloring can harm the health of your hair and make it dull and lifeless. In addition, too many chemicals can cause hair loss.
However, that does not mean that you have to go out with gray roots. There are simple and effective ways to repair gray roots that can temporarily solve your problem without even making a hole in your wallet or damaging your hair.
Here are some simple and effective ways to repair your gray roots without dye.
1. Change Hairdo
One of the best ways to cover gray roots is to change the way you style your hair.
For example, if you separate your hair in the middle and the gray roots are more visible in the middle part of your head, you just need to separate your hair to the side for a few days. In this way, the gray roots will be less visible.
In addition, changing your hairstyle will help hide the gray roots to some degree. A new hairstyle will hurt the eye not to focus so much on your roots. You can try a high ponytail or topknot because these hairstyles emphasize the highest point of your hair and away from your roots.
2. Use Herbal Wash
For those with naturally dark hair, you can try an herbal rinse using sage to cover gray hair for a moment. Its dyeing property can help reduce the contrast between dark brown or black hair and your silver roots.
How To Use?
- Prepare a few cups of strong sage tea by boiling ½ cup of sage in 3 cups of water.
- Let cool.
- Shampoo your hair as usual, then rinse with cold water.
- Then, simply pour the sage tea rinse into your hair.
- Soak a few minutes before rinsing.
- Use it regularly to gradually darken your gray roots.
- You can also use black tea in the same way to darken your gray hair.
3. Use Henna
If you have a few hours available, you can try using henna to cover your gray roots. Henna works like a wonderful natural hair color that lasts for several weeks.
How To Use?
- Mix enough hot black coffee in 2 to 3 tablespoons of henna powder to form a thick paste.
- Allow the dough to rest for 1 hour.
- Apply it to your gray roots using a hairbrush or just a toothbrush.
- Leave it for a few hours, then shampoo your hair as usual.
4. Cover the Roots with Eye Shadow
Eyeshadow is available in different shades, and you can easily find one that matches your complexion. Opt for a high-quality eyeshadow, so that the powder sticks to your hair.
Another good thing about eyeshadow is that the powder comes out easily when you wash your hair. Of course, this means that it is a good solution for your problem of gray roots.
How To Use?
- Use a small cosmetic brush to gently apply the shadow on your gray roots.
- Apply it several times to completely hide the gray roots.
5. Use a Temporary Powder
There are many temporary powders available on the market to cover gray roots. These powders are easy to use and offer a quick solution. In addition, these products are less messy to use and are resistant to perspiration and water.
The effect of this type of powder lasts until it is shampooed. Available in multi-tonal shades, you can easily find one that fits your hair color perfectly.
All you need to do is apply the powder to your already styled hair with the smaller end of the brush that comes with the powder.
6. Try the Airbrush Approach
Technology has provided an excellent solution for your gray roots in the form of airbrush machines that can cover the gray roots at the push of a button.
It is easy to use and is not messy or sticky at all. All you need to do is choose a hue that is closest to your hue color and spray on your roots.
How To Use?
- Hold the device about 2 inches from your dry hair and press the spray button.
- Lightly apply the chosen shade with regular strokes, moving continuously during application.
- Before using the product, read the instructions carefully and seek the help of others, if necessary.
7. Grab Root Touch-Up Kit
You can also find different types of retouching sprays on the market to get rid of gray roots without the use of dyes.
These retouch kits come in different shades, so you can easily find one that will match your complexion. The effect of the spray stays intact until you shampoo your hair.
How To Use?
- Shake the bottle well.
- Hold it 6 to 12 inches from your dry hair.
- Spray the gray roots in a light and regular stream.
- Again, you should read the instructions carefully before using it.