Acne is a common skin problem during pregnancy. Acne during pregnancy can be mild, moderate or even severe and can occur at any time during pregnancy. It can come and go, or it can last nine full months.
Hormonal fluctuations in the body are partly responsible for pregnancy spurts, as it causes the sebaceous glands in your skin to stimulate the production of an oily substance called sebum.
Sebum combined with dead skin cells blocks the pores of the skin. This, in turn, creates an environment conducive to rapid multiplication of bacteria, resulting in inflammation and acne breakouts.
Women who have a history of acne or have acne breakouts early in their menstrual cycle are at higher risk of having acne breakouts during pregnancy.
During pregnancy, you should not use over-the-counter medications to treat acne. It is strongly recommended to consult a doctor or dermatologist before taking any medicine during pregnancy.
Fortunately, with the right skin care routine and some natural remedies, you can successfully treat pregnancy-related acne.
Table of Contents
1. Good Skin Care
The most effective way to treat and prevent acne breakouts during pregnancy is to take care of your skin.
Always clean your face gently with a mild cleanser twice a day, once in the morning and once at night before going to bed. This will help prevent the accumulation of oil and dirt on your face. Be sure to wash and rinse your face, especially around the hairline and jaw, where pores tend to clog.
Aside from the face, you should also wash your hair regularly to prevent the transfer of oil from your hair to your face.
You must not touch your face unnecessarily with dirty hands. Also, avoid using a lot of makeup on your face. If you need it, use products labeled “non-comedogenic”, which means they do not tend to clog pores.
Above all, avoid the temptation to squeeze or burst your acne, as it usually results in permanent acne scars.
2. Warm Compress
A hot compress can help clear up your acne quickly. The warm temperature will help remove bacteria and pus from the pores and hair follicles, which in turn facilitates the healing process. In addition, it helps reduce pain.
How to use
- Mix 1 teaspoon of table salt in 2 cups of warm water.
- Soak a washcloth in this solution and wring excess.
- Apply the warm compress on the affected area for 10 minutes.
- When it starts to cool, apply a new one.
- Do this a few times a day.
Turmeric is a natural antiseptic that can help treat acne. It has an antibacterial property that helps kill the bacteria that cause acne.
In addition, it acts as a skin-improving agent and gives your skin a beautiful glow.
How to use?
- Mix 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder and a little water to form a paste.
- Dab the dough on the affected area.
- Leave it for about 1 hour, then wash it.
- Use this remedy 1 or 2 times a day for a few days.
4. White Toothpaste
White toothpaste is also very effective at treating acne that develops on the skin during pregnancy. Its antibacterial ingredients help get rid of the bacteria that cause the problem.
It also helps to dry acne quickly.
How to use?
- Dab a small amount of white toothpaste on acne.
- Leave it overnight. If you have a sensitive skin, leave it for 5 minutes.
- The next morning, wash it with cold water.
- Repeat every day until the skin is free of any signs of acne.
5. Aloe Vera
Aloe vera is another wonderful natural remedy for acne breakouts related to pregnancy. It helps to effectively treat acne with its healing and anti-inflammatory properties.
Being rich in antibacterial properties, aloe vera also helps fight the bacteria responsible for acne.
How To Use?
- Slice a sheet of aloe vera and remove the fresh gel.
- Apply some of this gel to the affected areas and massage gently for 1 minute.
- Leave the gel for 20 to 30 minutes, then rinse.
- Do this 1 or 2 times a day.
6. Coconut Oil
Coconut oil can also help clear up pregnancy acne, because of its antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties.
The oil is effective against the bacteria responsible for acne. In addition, being an emollient, it helps to moisturize and maintain skin nourished.
How To Use?
- Apply organic coconut oil to the affected area.
- Rub gently into your skin.
- Reapply a few times a day. You do not need to rinse it.
Honey has antibacterial and antiseptic properties, so it is very effective in treating different types of acne, including those that occur during pregnancy.
Honey is also soothing and moisturizing for the skin.
How to use?
- Prepare a dough with 1 tablespoon of honey and ½ teaspoon of cinnamon powder.
- Apply it to your acne. Wait about 10 minutes, then rinse with warm water. Use this once a day.
Lemon is another natural anti-acne ingredient that you can easily find in your kitchen. It is antimicrobial in nature, which means it can fight the bacteria responsible for acne.
It also restores the pH balance of the skin, reducing rashes.
How to use?
- Apply fresh lemon juice on acne using a cotton swab.
- Allow the juice to rest for 20 minutes or longer.
- Rinse your face with water.
- Do this once or twice a day.