Croup is a respiratory tract infection in children. It affects the wind pipe (trachea), voice box (larynx) and bronchi. Children with croup infection find it difficult to breathe due to blockage of the wind pipe, they even have cough and their voice is also changed. Read about Croup-Respiratory infection.
Croup is caused by a virus called as parainfluenza virus. It is caused in children of age 3months – 3years, it is seen in adults too but very rare. It is more often seen during winter season.
Symptoms are same as common cold. First symptom is running nose, cold, it usually aggravates at night and snoring due to blockage of the wind pipe, cough, hoarse noise. Fever is also another common symptom. The skin around noise becomes red to purple. Fatigue, agitation, difficult in swallowing and eating any food or drinking water are other symptoms.
Treatment is very simple and can be treated at home itself. Comforting the child is very important by rubbing on their back and chest with balm, not allowing them to cry, due to this uneasiness which worsens the situation. If croup seems increasing it is always advised to see a doctor, he may give oral corticosteroids which help in clearing the tract or in some extreme conditions oxygen mask and nasal spray or adrenaline is given.
They are chances of developing other conditions like pneumonia and middle ear infection. Proper care must be taken to avoid any further infections.
- Maintaining a clean environment and maintaining hygienic conditions around help in avoiding croup infection.
- Washing hands keeping all surfaces clean by using antibacterial solution.
- Giving your kid always properly cooked food. Food should be served warm.
- Staying away from people who have cold or other respiratory infections.
- Taking in good amount of fluids so that dehydration doesn’t develop.
- Conjunctivitis commonly called as madras eye or pink eyeConjunctivitis is inflammation of conjunctiva the outer layer of the eye and the inner surface of the eyelid. It is usually caused due to infection by virus or bacterial and in some cases […]
- Tape worm infectionTape worms are flat segmented worms that cling on to the intestines of humans. Some species of tape worms infect other animals too. In a tape worm infection symptoms are very subtle and if […]
- Carbuncle – A bacterial infection of skinCarbuncle is an abscess which is larger than a boil. It is a localized bacterial infection. It is filled up with pus and has one or more openings which help in secretion of pus when it […]
- Six Effective Exercises To Stop Snoring ForeverSix Effective Exercises To Stop Snoring Forever
#effective #exercises #snoring
It is much better sleeping environment when you can hear gentle gentle wind coming from the window instead […]
- Garlic Recipes To Treat Cold during MonsoonGarlic Recipes To Treat Cold during Monsoon
Monsoon is the season when we catch a cold easily due to changes in climate. Many bacterial and viral infections also be inclined to attack […]
- Six Things That Worsen Summer AllergiesIn spite of of the season, viruses can attack at any time of the year. You can catch the cold regardless of a winter season and reason is allergens. These allergens attack your respiratory […]
- 6 Reasons For Snoring In Children6 Reasons For Snoring In Children
#Snoring #children #kids #babies
Snoring is not a problem only of adults. It is seen in some children as well. According to the studies, around 20 […]
- 3 Exercises to Help Stop Snoring3 Exercises to Help Stop Snoring
Snoring can be the nuisance for people, and if you or your loved one is snoring, then consider trying simple mouth and tongue exercises. According to the […]
- Herpes is a permanent guestHerpes is a viral infection caused due to Herpes simplex virus. There are two types of herpes disease caused due to two different viruses Read about Herpes is a permanent guest