Stuffed brinjal curry recipe is a popular stuffed eggplant curry from the Andhra Pradesh and is commonly cooked in Andhra home. It the same as ‘enne badanekai’, a north Karnataka recipe. However, there are some minor changes like sesame seeds are used in north Karnataka which we do not use because it does not add any special taste to this stuffed brinjal curry. if you wish you can check by using 1 tsp white sesame seeds to the same recipe. Here we use lemon juice instead of tamarind paste or juice, as lemon juice prevents skin itch that is caused by eating eggplants.
Ingredients to make Stuffed Brinjal Cury
Measuring cup used 1 cup = 240 ml
- brinjals or vankayalu : 4 to 6
- ginger garlic paste: 1 tsp
- onions: ¾ cup of finely chopped
- green chili: 2 slit
- lemon juice or tamarind paste: 2 to 3 tbsp
- coriander: a fistful of chopped
- curry leaves: a sprig
- mustard: ¼ tsp
- cumin: ¼ tsp
- oil : 3 tbsp
To make paste
- Peanuts : 3 ½ tbsp
- coconut dry or fresh coconut: ¾ tbsp
- coriander seeds: 1 tbsp
- cumin: ½ tsp
- cinnamon: 1 small stick (optional)
- cloves : 2 (optional)
- green cardamom : 2 (optional)
- red chilies: 4 or red chili powder: 1 tsp
Instructions to make Stuffed Brinjal Cury
- Roast and paste all the ingredients mentioned under to make paste coloumn. Each ingredient to be roasted separately or add salt and lemon juice and mix well.
- Wash and cut brinjals with one end of the brinjal andthe stalk leaving intact
- keep them immersed in salted water till you use
- Heat oil in a pan, add mustard, cumin and curry leaves,
- Once they begin to splutter, add onions and green chilies, fry till they turn golden
- Add ginger garlic paste and fry just for a min
- Stuff the brinjals and add them to the pan and fry just for 2 to 3 minutes. Make sure the brinjals are coated with enough oil. do not burn
- Pour water just enough to cook brinjals. Adjust salt.
- Once they are fully cooked and tender, add the finely chopped coriander leaves. cover and off the heat.
Using some variety of red chilies lends a slightly bitter taste to the gravy. so if you do not have byadgi chilies, use the regular chili powder.