Insomnia is a sleep disorder in which the individual faces difficulty in falling sleep or staying sleep for longer periods. A good night sleep is very essential to kick start the day, if for any reason a person doesn’t sleep for a night it effects the next day. After a day full of work body needs to rest for a minimum of 5 hrs in the form of sleep to rejuvenate and recharge.
Insomnia is of two types
Acute insomnia- it is short term insomnia and it only lasts for weeks
Chronic insomnia- it is long term insomnia and lasts for long months and years.
- Staying awake for longer hours
- Trouble sleeping and waking up frequently when slept
- Daytime drowsiness
- Lack of concentration and memory
- Loss of appetite
The following are people and habits of people who are prone to insomnia
- Stress- pressure at work place, small tensions cause stress
- Working in shifts which often change, and traveling a lot
- Unpleasant and uncomfortable environment to sleep
- Any recent traumatic experience
- Chronic feelings of trauma, anxiety
- Using medications that effect sleep
- Other health issues that cause sleeplessness
Prevention and cure
- Insomnia can be prevented by following the following.
- Having a proper sleep timings and sticking to that timing.
- Avoiding caffeinated drinks before 6 hrs to the bed time.
- Addiction to alcohol, sleeping pills or any drugs should be avoided.
- Avoid television or laptop for 1-2 hours before sleep.
- Having a balanced diet and exercising helps body to metabolize properly and thereby sleep.
- Sleep in a comfort and cozy bed and environment, don’t use bed for any other work except for sleep.
- Avoid worrying about stuff which is bothering you, if you can solve it try to write down solutions and make a to-do-list and follow it to sort it out, it’s an effective way to solve problems and boost confidence.