Embarrassment causes much discomfort and when one is arguing one does feel alone sometimes and that too at a party such a situation can occur. Embarrassment is an emotion many find it difficult to cope up. Many feel that it is a negative emotion. Even in relationships one experiences embarrassment and faces awkward situations.
One must allow the feelings of embarrassment take control and ruin our experiences. In order to get over an embarrassing moment, one should react a lighthearted manner and thus reduce the impact of the moment that causes the embarrassment. In case, one is not able to get over the embarrassment, then on must try to understand the underlying causes for it
- Laugh at yourself: Laughing and humor are good for health and one and get over embarrassing situations by applying these two methods of behavior. Make the situation causing embarrassment look funny.
- Admit one is embarrassed: It is better to accept embarrassment rather than deny it. One can cope up better with the embarrassed situation.
- Proper explanation of the embarrassment: One should explain properly the circumstances why the embarrassment has happened.
- Ask for help: One can seek help to get over an embarrassing situation. Another person can make you feel less embarrassed.
How to Cope up with Reactions of Embarrassment?
- Taking deep breaths: One suffers from anxiety so one must take deep breaths. One must take time to relax. Psychological reaction to the embarrassing situation is there as well as physiological reactions.
- Avoid making a spectacle of oneself: One must shout or scream or cry when an embarrassing situation occurs. One must control one’s reactions to it.
- Convince oneself situation not embarrassing: It is important not to overact to an embarrassing situation and feel nothing actually happened. This way one will cope up with the situation better.
- Distract oneself from the situation: Try to divert the mind. Read or watch television, or read a book, go for movie or so. Avoid thinking about the embarrassing situation too much.
- Learn a lesson from the embarrassing situation: Try to avoid such situation occurring again.
What else one has to do to cope up with the embarrassing situation?
- Reflect one one’s emotions: Try to observe how you react emotionally and see if you can change these emotional reactions.
- Check up and see if you have an anxiety disorder: One gets anxious when one is embarrassed and at times the anxiety level goes up much. One must see if one is suffering from an anxiety disorder.
- Consult a therapist: If one has reacted too much to a given situation, then it rather abnormal and one has to then consult a therapist.
- Meditate: If one mediates if one is unable to get over the embarrassment, then it is very good for health.
Feeling embarrassed in a given situation does indeed cause much psychological disturbance and one also has to cope with physiological reactions to embarrassment. Some people react vehemently to embarrassment and are in need of professional counseling.
It is important to gain control over one’s emotions after one feels embarrassed and retain calmness. One cannot avoid embarrassments in personal and professional life.