Severe Acute Respiratory syndrome (SARS )- An air borne disease
It’s a recently discovered syndrome, caused by a virus. Its first discovery and outbreak were in the year 2003. It is caused by a virus called corona virus (SARS-CoV). This virus is first seen in the smaller mammals, later on the virus had mutated and started infected humans, just like AIDS, Swine flu etc. Death rate in SARS is high. About 1 in 10 was killed who are infected with this virus. Adults above 65years are more prone and about 50% of the infected old aged people are killed.
- Fever around temperature 100 on Fahrenheit
- Body pains
- Diarrhea around 5-7days on exposure of the virus
- Severe discomfort
- Dry cough
- Means of spreading
It’s an air borne disease since it is a respiratory disease. The virus is usually transmitted from the droplets released when someone infected with virus coughs or sneezes. It may spread if you are in close contact with a person, like touching the surfaces which are covered with the SARS virus when an infected person uses it etc.
Very little is known about this virus which causes SARS. There is no specific treatment and vaccination. Following are the general treatment given to a person who is infected with the corona virus:
- Antiviral drugs
- Infected person should be isolated
- Steroids for decreasing the inflammation of the lungs
- Antibiotics for treatment of bacteria which takes advantage and causes pneumonia
- Assistance for breathing with the help of a ventilator
- Since this infection doesn’t occur frequently everywhere. To avoid this infection the following are the preventive measures
- Don’t travel where SARS outbreaks
- If visited then avoid contact with the persons suffering from SARS
- Always make sure to wear gloves and mask when SARS outbreak happens
- Avoid sharing food and drinking etc
- Sometimes it’s better to wear goggle to avoid any virus to contact with the eyes, it is reported that even the virus spreads through eyes.
- Wash your hands before touch your mouth or nose.
- Keep the premises clean
The above are the details about Severe Acute Respiratory syndrome (SARS )- An air borne disease